Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Whip It Up Wednesday: Stuffed Shells

Stuffed Shells (recipe makes 6 servings)
1 egg
12 oz Ricotta Cheese or 2 C cottage cheese (I use a 20 oz? cottage cheese)
16 oz Ziti Pasta, slightly undercooked (I use a box of Large Shells)
1 1/2 C Spaghetti sauce
10 oz spinach (optional but delicious)
 Combine egg, cottage/ricotta cheese and spinach. Recipe calls to food process but I simply mashed it all together with a whisk. Boil your Ziti or Shells until they are a few minutes undercooked. Drain and cool to handle. Fill shell or ziti with the cheese mixture. Place in containers for freezing or into a casserole pan for cooking (or split it up for both). Some recipes call to freeze just the mixture but I like to freeze with it in the shell for even easier meals. Cover with spaghetti sauce (I add a little to the bottom of the pan as well) and cook at 350* for 30 minutes. Additional cheese mixture or mozzarella cheese can be used to top the dish.
 forgive my poor pictures...
...and plate presentation

Rating:  5 stars
-super easy to prepare (and freeze).  Tastes delicious (my father-in-law had three servings and I consider him a little hard to please).  

-this recipe comes from the 30 Gourmet's Big Book of Freezer Cooking book.  It is one we've made before and love. It freezes well and tastes great either fresh or post-frozen.

No comments: