Wednesday, April 20, 2011

French Onion Soup

So French Onion Soup is my absolute favorite.  I used to order it at every restaurant that offered it and constantly craved it.  Marie Calendars and Mimi's Cafe were my favorite's by the way...in case you were wondering.  Anyway my sister shared a recipe with me for it and I went off of this and altered it to my liking and adding things for taste or similarity to my favorite places.

French Onion Soup

2 Tbsp butter
1 can beef broth
1/2 to 1 beef bullion cube (I like a stronger taste)
1 medium onion
1 slice of French bread or other thick bread slightly dried
1 slice of mozzarella or swiss cheese
splash of red wine vinegar (optional) **
1 Tbsp diced green onions (optional) **

**some measurements are estimates...it's an art really


Melt butter in a small boiler.  Slice onion and add to the butter.  Saute onions until the are golden brown and tender.  Add the beef broth and bring to boil.  Add bullion if desired.  Let simmer for a few minutes to melt the bullion.  Bring to a boil and add the green onions and vinegar.  Ladel the contents into a soup crock or other oven safe bowl (I like this style of crock as it fits more soup...however I like the look of the one in the picture so I used it for this).  Place the bread on top of the soup...in my experience it works better if there is enough onion in the bowl that it sits on the onion and doesn't float (ie get soggy) in the broth.  Place slice of cheese on the bread and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Place the dish into the oven and broil for a few minutes until the cheese bubbles and browns a little.  Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Yields a little over a crock full.

No comments: