Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Whip It Up Wednesday -- Pumpkin Pancakes

Man I'm a slacker.  I was going to put in effort and share a recipe out of my books or recipe box but sorry not going to happen this week.  But I have been on a "I need healthier foods and snacks for my girls" kick so I will share a recipe that I really like and they seem to love.

Pumpkin Pancakes (via WholesomeToddlerFood.com ...I love love love them for kid recipes...check them out)

1 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C white flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1 C pureed pumpkin or canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
2 C milk
3 T canola oil

Stir/sift together all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  In a separate larger bowl beat eggs, pumpkin and vanilla together.  Add milk and oil and beat again until smooth.  Add the flour mixture.  Cook as usual.

Notes:  I left out the salt (as did the author) and the allspice (I didn't have any).  I would actually try adding the salt next time but they taste fine without it.
I must be a pancake cooking ninny.  The first couple didn't flip well for me.  Make sure you cook these until the edges are a little "dry" and top is not as shiny (these are hard to burn).  This will help to have a non-doughy and easy-flipping pancake.
I also doubled the recipe for the purpose of freezing.  Worked great.  I usually reheat in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds and then pop them in the toaster to keep the soggy away.

Rating:  5 stars
-these are delicious and my 1 year old twins love these also.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

We love pumpkin pancakes, especially with cinnamon syrup!

Stir together 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp flour, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and 1 cup water. Bring it to a roiling boil stirring often. Continue to boil and stir until mixture thickens to syrup consistency. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes before serving.