Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Whip It Up Wednesday -- Zucchini Muffins

I've said it before and I'll say it again (especially on another lazy Wednesday like today).  I am finding all sorts of healthy toddler recipes online.  I love giving them something healthy and heck it is dang tasty to me as well.  This one comes from homemade-baby-food-recipes.com.  Find it and other finger foods here.



Cheesy Zucchini Muffins
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk - use whole milk, formula or breast milk
2/3 cup olive oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 to 2 tsp dried oregano (adjust according to your baby's taste)
3 tbsp grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 450 deg F.  Beat the eggs and milk together in a bowl, then stir in the oil.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.  Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until the flour is moistened (the batter should look lumpy - don't try to make it smooth).
Carefully stir in the zucchini and oregano.  Spoon into greased muffin tins (you should get 12 muffins) and top with the cheese.
Bake for around 20 to 25 mins, then cool and serve!



Notes:  I didn't change this one much.  I used canola oil instead of olive oil.  Also since I didn't have oregano on hand I put in some Italian seasoning.  This is a very easy recipe and also freezes and reheats well (although keep in mind hot spots if you microwave to reheat).


Rating: 5 stars
-love these.  A sweet but savory taste.  I love to cut them open and spread butter on them. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I started reading the recipe I assumed it was going to be a sweet bread recipe. When I got to the Oregano I thought it would be the weirdest sweet bread ever. Then I read the cheese ingredient and realized it was a savory dish. What a fun idea.

Michelle D said...

It is really tasty. I was looking for a zucchini recipe for kids and this is one I found.