Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whip It Up Wednesday -- Mama Chang's Spicy Chicken

I have decided to add on to scheduled posts on this blog by including Whip It Up Wednesdays.  I will be sharing some of my favorite recipes as well as recipes that I discover and try out online.  I will rate and review them and discuss tips or changes I made or would make.

* original recipe found here (I changed the name a little based on how I've made this)

Mama Chang's Stir-Fried Shrimp and Scallions
*not my picture...I forgot to take one; will replace this if I remember next time*
Ingredients:


1 1/2 to 2 lb chicken
3 garlic cloves
1" piece of fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper 
1 large egg white
2 tsp cornstarch
3/4 C ketchup
1/2 C low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C canola oil
3 scallions/green onions
1/2 C coarsely chopped cilantro (optional;  I don't use this)


1.  Cut up your chicken into bite size pieces and cook in a large skillet.  When they are mostly done remove from heat and place into a large mixing bowl.  


2.  Toss the chicken with garlic, ginger, red pepper, egg white and 1 tsp of cornstarch until well coated. 


3.  In a separate bowl, whisk the ketchup with the brother, sugar, pepper, salt and remaining 1 tsp of cornstarch. 


4.  Heat oil in your large skillet until shimmering.  Add your chicken mixture to the oil over med-high heat and let sizzle and cook until the chicken is somewhat golden.  Add the ketchup mixture and simmer for an additional 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.  Stir in the scallions and cilantro (or top with cilantro for garnish) and serve.  


* this can be served on it's own or pair with steamed rice or ham fried rice.  


Ratings/Comments:  I really love this recipe.  It is a little spicy so if you are sensitive to spice considering cutting down or cutting out the ginger and/or red pepper.  The original recipe is made with shrimp.  Since I made it with chicken I  made sure to cook my chicken thoroughly before mixing with other ingredients.  Then I cooked the chicken in the oil til golden to make it a little crispy.  Original recipe also recommends slicing the garlic and mincing the ginger.  I used a garlic press on the garlic and grated the ginger with a small cheese grater. 

No comments: